Why?

I'd like to share my experiences of living and loving my boyfriend who has been diagnosed with Bipolar. Hopefully I can help others in similar situations by expressing the ways I've dealt with both the good and bad times. I would like this blog to be a platform where we can help each other out by sharing our experiences. In turn, it'll help spread awareness to help break the stigma of Bipolar and other mental illnesses.

1.29.2010

Victim of the Past

As I mentioned in my previous post, part of my latest epiphany is to "let go of the past". With motivation from someone I hold close to my heart, I am finally looking in the mirror to find the truth. I found that I've been a victim of my past....the things that have kept me "coasting thru life".

By hanging on to (and believing) things like other people's judgments/labels, my father's death, my failed marriage (just to name a few) helped me justify my self-defeating behaviors and the lack of things in my life. Without realizing it (or maybe I chose to look the other way), what I really was doing was labeling myself with the "poor me" status. For instance, I have had many "middle-of-the-road" jobs, never pushing myself to my true potential or passion. Since, I gave myself this status (and believed it), I kept up with a pace where I couldn't fail. With this label, it made it OK.

What I've learned is that by holding on to the past the only thing it's doing is preventing myself from healing and keeping myself from living life in the present moment (this is where I want to be...in the now...so I can truly live this life I was given). We need to Embrace, Examine, Understand and Accept our past. Once we do this then we need to LET GO of it.....I truly believe that I had to go through what I went through in order to be where I am today.....Mar

1 comment: